7 Steps Homeowners Should Take When Faced With Catastrophic Water Damage
Water damage is never something you want to have happen, but so long as there is water and people, accidents are likely to happen. Since water damage is a catastrophe and many are not prepared for it, it is common for people to panic. This month’s blog is focused on that very topic – what to do if you discover water damage.
- Remain calm – This is an important one. You may see some of your valuables and precious mementos lost under water, but a clear head needs to prevail at this time. Step back, take a breath and assess your situation.
- Call a professional service – Get on the phone and call One Team Restoration. We are on call 24/7 and 365. Water damage does not take weekends and holidays off, and neither do we. It is important to get started asap to protect the rest of your home.
- Call the insurance company – They also should have a 24/7 365 number. All you need to do is call them. When the adjuster comes, One Team will work with the insurance company.
- The power – If the electricity is still on, call the electrical service to come and turn off your power. There may be a breaker outside the home, but with the water damage, it is best to leave this to a professional.
- Do not go into the home – The standing water can harbor all sorts of dangerous bacteria. If you have not turned off the electricity, it is even more important to stay out of the home.
- Be ready for this to take time – Water damage and restoration will not happen overnight. The drying process can take several days up to a week. It is important for you to recognize this and be prepared if you need to stay elsewhere.
- Let the professionals do the work – We at One Team Restoration are always willing to answer questions, but we also want to get you back into your home asap. If you have a list of questions, call the office instead of asking the team on the scene.
This is never a complete list, but it is a start in the case of water damage. Please remember to call us in the case of any water damage. We will be at your location in short order.